Saturday, February 20, 2010

Batik Class

Today, the temperature outside was wonderful...60 degrees! So what did I do? I spent the day INSIDE, in a batik class!

I didn't produce any masterpieces (that is an understatement!) but I had a good time.

In the green shirt to my right is the teacher, Phyllis Boger, holding my batik 'experiment'. I hesitate to call it an 'art piece' (LOL!) but it does have potential for use as a starting base for some future fiber art. I hate the large flowers, but the wax was on the fabric...it just 'happened'.
*
*
*
*
*
*







I used a water-soluable resist (made by Pebo) with Pebo and Dynaflow paints on this silk piece. I think it is supposed to be hung in a window...there is a small metal 'frame' around the silk (about the size of coat-hanger wire)...it came that way, ready to paint.

I really didn't know what I was about to draw/paint when I started. We were given free-rein and I was uninspired. This is what resulted...a vine.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
This one is cotton...and we used soy wax for the resist (as opposed to parafin/beeswax). The wax was applied with a Tjanting tool...my first time to use one, and it definitely takes practice to get it right! The soy was is supposed to come out much easier...and it did iron out fairly well,, although it left a greasy kind of shadow. I think the soy wax is actually supposed to wash out, though, so I am considering washing this piece, even though the colors may fade. Hey, it's an experiment! :)

If you want to see ALL the pictures I took in this class, check out my album.

2 comments:

Susan Purney Mark said...

Trish,

I use soy wax all the time and its wonderful! A hot wash with Synthrpol and the wax is gone....wouldn't go back to the paraffin/beeswax ever!

Marilyn League said...

Looks like everybody had fun and I like those big flowers--with beads maybe--haha

 
Free Hit Counter